<body>

Y
Great pop music, from wherever and whenever.



The Blogger


split chick

email me



Links


last.fm
Popjustice
SparkPop
POPtastic
Don't Stop The Pop
I'm Always Right
Into The Groove
Dirrrty Pop
Dancing with the Ciccone Robots
Cure for Bedbugs
Chart Rigger
Pop Eats Pop
Zappin' it to ya
XO's Middle Eight
PosterGirl
TattleTart
Spicy Scoop
The Hotstuff Files (RIP)


Recently


Way back then


February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007



Credits

Designer: Tammy

Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 

Powered by Blogger






Saturday, February 25, 2006


Max Martin was the king of the teen pop sound in the late '90s and early 2000s. His music style has evolved from beat-tastic bubblegum to the current rock-influenced music he produces. Believe it or not, that's actually a return to his roots, given that he started in a heavy metal band. He began producing in around 1994, but it was the following year when things really started getting going, with the debut single (and following album) from the Backstreet Boys.

These are tracks from my very own import copy of their first self-titled album release in Europe. I begged my mom to order this for me sometime in 1998 when I was an obsessed fan. Only several tracks are Max Martin songs, but for the most part they're clearly the best ones. This is also the start of his collaboration with Denniz PoP, whom he wrote and produced several of the greatest pop songs of the 1990s with.

We've Got It Goin' On - Their first single, released in 1995. It was a flop in the US but a hit in Europe, which got their career going over there. It's pretty cheesy and definitely not one of my favorite songs of either BSB or Max, but I think it's a good introduction to both.
Quit Playin' Games (With My Heart) - This is the original version, released in '96. It has both verses sung by Brian Littrell, as opposed to the American edit on the U.S. debut that features Nick Carter's vocals as well. (Probably because Nick still hadn't completed puberty at the time of the first recording ;)
I Wanna Be With You - In my view, this is one of the best songs on this album. It wasn't chosen for the American album, and I have no clue why. I think it was in the live-action Casper movie with Christina Ricci or something.

And since it happened to be a Holland import, it included some great remixes for the Dutch:
We've Got It Goin' On (Marcus Radio Mix) - It has similar sounds to the original, but I think I might like it better.
I Wanna Be With You (Amadin's Club Mix)

Tomorrow we move on to 1997, the breakthrough year for Max Martin. BSB finally broke through in the USA, we were introduced to a kick-ass Swedish singer by the name of Robyn, and more!

P.S. You can comment if you want, you know :)


Last Updated @ 2:34 PM
1 comments
Y