<body>

Y
Great pop music, from wherever and whenever.



The Blogger


split chick

email me



Links


last.fm
Popjustice
SparkPop
POPtastic
Don't Stop The Pop
I'm Always Right
Into The Groove
Dirrrty Pop
Dancing with the Ciccone Robots
Cure for Bedbugs
Chart Rigger
Pop Eats Pop
Zappin' it to ya
XO's Middle Eight
PosterGirl
TattleTart
Spicy Scoop
The Hotstuff Files (RIP)


Recently


Way back then


February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007



Credits

Designer: Tammy

Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 

Powered by Blogger






Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Soul patrol, whoo hooo! Just kidding. Anyway, Taylor Hicks won American Idol, and will be around to spaz all over the American pop scene, or whatever's left of it. I'll keep you posted. A great new blog from a Canadian, Poptastic has the studio version of his first single, "Do I Make You Proud", which isn't great but at least isn't Katharine McPhee's "My Destiny". There's a lot of great stuff on that page...on the AI tip, there's a cheesy Almighty cover of the booted contestant theme "Bad Day", as sung by Belle Lawrence. It has generally recieved a bad response from many corners, but i'm a freak that likes it.

I also promised i'd update on the latest regarding McFly. In their album's debut week in the U.S., it reached the lofty height of #25 on the Billboard Heatseekers album chart, which is for albums by new artists that have never charted on the main chart. So they basically went in at #225, or possibly lower. Oof.

In terms of general chart news, apparently Gnarls Barkley are deleting their single "Crazy" from production, and also removing it from download, because it has topped the U.K. charts for an astonishing nine weeks. Two things: 1) Am I the only one who doesn't 'get' them? Judging from only that song, it's not bad, but I don't see what's so superlatively amazing about it, where people who don't already have it are STILL buying it. 2) Is this bizarro chart universe or something? One song hogs the UK chart for months, while in the U.S. songs are changing hands again and again, which is how I personally like it. After two weeks of Rihanna's genius-yet-unoriginal "SOS" on the top spot, this past week it's been "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire, one of the few rappers that doesn't sound like utter shit when singing his own choruses.

Anyway, now for the songs. There are some specific artists i'm planning on featuring soon, but I haven't receieved some stuff, and i'm kind of anal about being comprehensive. =) I just wanted to post some stuff. The subject is self-explanitory: dance remixes of pop songs. They play a huge part in my neverending iPod workout playlist, but they're still cool to listen to even sitting down. I like remixes that put new spins on songs. The extended remix is possibly anthetical to the typical aesthetic of the perfect three and a half minute pop song, but in many cases I enjoy the beats and how the producers play with the vocals. Most of the time, i'm not much of a fan of dubs, though - they take too much of the melody out for my tastes. Enjoy!!

Oh, and the songs I didn't write a blurb on are just as good as the ones I did. It's past 2 a.m., please forgive me. ;)


Kelly Clarkson - The Trouble With Love Is (Bermudez and Bertoldo Deliquent Cupid Radio Mix) - The music is pretty uplifting for a song with such melancholy lyrics, but the contrast just makes it seem even greater in my eyes. This song deserved to be a far bigger hit than it was in any form.
Bonus: The Trouble With Love Is (Live Independent Tour 2004 Philadelphia) - I was so excited for my show anyway, but when she was performing this song and went from the slower original to this remix, I was elated. Kelly herself probably liked the mix somewhat if she did that, and it reminded me of the great late '90s craze of ballad-to-uptempo versions of diva songs (ex: Toni Braxton's "Unbreak My Heart", Deborah Cox's "Nobody's Supposed to Be Here".) They should do that more often now, in my opinion.
Marie Serenholt - That's The Way My Heart Goes (The Attic Club Mix)
Samantha Mumba - Baby Come On Over (ATFC Chilled Vintage Vocal) - I used to love this girl so much, and I still think she was great. Her debut single "Gotta Tell You" was one of the few from British or Irish (she's the latter) pop stars that broke through in America, peaking in the top 5. This song was the U.S. follow-up that wasn't nearly as successful, and a later single in the UK. Despite consistently high chart placings and decent album sales, her second album was never released, aside from one single. I will never understand that.
Kate DeAraugo - Faded (Reactor Mix) - Second single from the third winner of Australian Idol. The original sounds like an especially good Kelly Clarkson ripoff in the guitar-pop style. This makes it cheesier and more dance-poppy.
Destiny's Child - Independent Women Part I (Maurice's Radio Mix)
Girls Aloud - The Show (Bang Bang Klub Vocal)- Good use of guitars, more of a rock-influenced dance mix, which i've been getting into lately.
Kaci Brown - Unbelieveable (Chris Cox Radio Mix) - She's a new singer that plays the piano and is 17 years old, yet is rumored to be dating Backstreet Boys' AJ McLean after serving as one of their opening acts last year. I prefer her songs like this, as opposed to the hip hop influenced tracks, such as "Instigator" and that song that mentions Dora the Explorer, that sound like a bad parody at times.
S Club 7 - You're My Number One (Almighty Mix) - Pure cheese, but I fricking love it.
NERD - Rock Star (Jason Nevins Remix) - This is a few years old (like some of these tracks), but I just discovered it after going to the movies several times and being bombarded with clips and previews of Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (speaking of: it's one thing when Vin Diesel doesn't do the sequel, but when Paul Walker isn't willing to show up, you should just quit.). I have absolutely no interest in seeing it, but this song (pun intended) completely rocks. It actually makes me able to listen to Pharrell sing without wanting to gouge out my eardrums.
Rob Thomas - Lonely No More (Jason Nevins Radio Mix) - Another of the rock-influenced mixes Jason Nevins has recently been known for.
Deja Vu ft. Tasmin - Measure of a Man (Transsensual Mix) - Sorry, but I had to post this. Y'all might know of my affection for Clay Aiken, and might know of his new haircut as shown on the American Idol 5 finale. I like it, I must admit (although whoever posted on LiveJournal that it makes him look like Matt Willis - it really doesn't. But if it means that there'll be a song on his new album - out this fall! - that is as good as "Up All Night", i'll take it.) . Not as if I have any cred anyway. :) This is the title track of his album that was covered as the b-side to Pop Idol 2 runner-ups Sam and Mark's #1 Beatles cover "With a Little Help of My Friends". Interestingly, their career only lasted for one more single before they were dropped and went to TV presenting. Obviously, it's been given the cheesy 'trance' cover treatment (check the name of the mix). In the U.S., Deja Vu and Tasmin (whoever they are) are best known, if you could call it that, for their version of Celine Dion's infamous Titanic smash "My Heart Will Go On".
Jessica Simpson - With You (Mike Rizzo Radio Mix)







Last Updated @ 1:31 AM
6 comments
Y