<body>

Y
Great pop music, from wherever and whenever.



The Blogger


split chick

email me



Links


last.fm
Popjustice
SparkPop
POPtastic
Don't Stop The Pop
I'm Always Right
Into The Groove
Dirrrty Pop
Dancing with the Ciccone Robots
Cure for Bedbugs
Chart Rigger
Pop Eats Pop
Zappin' it to ya
XO's Middle Eight
PosterGirl
TattleTart
Spicy Scoop
The Hotstuff Files (RIP)


Recently


Way back then


February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007



Credits

Designer: Tammy

Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 

Powered by Blogger






Tuesday, May 09, 2006

How about that McFly? Like I mentioned, their American debut album, Just My Luck, dropped yesterday. They've been tooling around the UK since 2004, grabbing #1 singles and Brit Awards and breaking records. I didn't really notice them when they first came out, but now I like Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones, Dougie Poynter and Harry Judd and their pop-rock stylings. They were part of the same management as Busted, and initially marketed as a mini-Busted, although their '60s inspired sound on some tracks was a bit different. However, one of the lead singers Tom has co-written many songs for Busted, and James Bourne has returned the favor. Just My Luck is basically a compilation of both their albums, their debut Room on the 3rd Floor, and last year's more mature and slightly more modern Wonderland, plus one new song.

Universal/Island is obviously (ha ha - great song by them) banking on the Lindsay Lohan movie of the same name (released to theaters this Friday in the U.S. and July in the U.K.) to do the work to sell this album. I've seen virtually no promotion other than the ads for that flick, which barely show McFly in them anyway. Their lead single is "I've Got You", but i've heard it nowhere other than in the piped in movie theater sattelite radio network when I saw Mission Impossible 3 this weekend. (Seriously, I liked it, and i'm not generally a fan of action movies OR Tom Cruise. There are several moments where his character looks like an ass, and i'm not sure if that wasn't on purpose...) The video appears to be a live performance one, which in my opinion looks a bit lazy for an introduction to a new act. It appears to be the same as the original British cut, except with intercut scenes of the movie in it.

Hell, in the very brief thank-yous, the second group of people the group thanks (right after their managers) is the entire cast and crew of...do I even have to mention which movie? None of the big-box store circulars even mentioned the album, and it wasn't on sale when I got it at K-Mart. I also don't think it's a very good omen that the only copy in stock (I sincerely doubt it was because McFly are so popular in Miami that they sold out already, but my local K-Mart is especially crappy in stocking music) had a broken case, which I didn't notice til I took it home. I'd like to see them make it, but I think their label are making some blunders. If they have a shot, they need to come here, slog it out, and do shitloads of radio gigs to get played.


Just My Luck - The one new track. Who knows if it was written specifically for the movie, although I wouldn't be shocked if it was. It's an upbeat number and the lyrics fit.
Five Colours In Her Hair (U.S. Version) - I'm somewhat surprised they kept the British pronunciation in the title. This is a completely new recording, which they made sound more pop-punk and emo-lite as opposed to the more jangly pop of the original. It could be sacreligious to somebody who is used to the original, but I quite like it. Then again, i'm into those kind of bands.

Room on the 3rd Floor - Good song that was released as a single in the UK and reached #5. It's a ballad that's sweet but not really corny. It's sort of acoustic in style. For some reason, this isn't even on the American album!


Also, this is unrelated, but vote for Elliott on American Idol tonight if you can. 1-866-IDOLS-03, 1-866-IDOLS-07, of if you've got product placed Cingular cell phones, text "vote" to 5703. Hilarilously, when you call the numbers, the underdog himself thanks you for voting for him. If you don't live in the U.S., completely disregard this part :)


Last Updated @ 10:17 PM
1 comments
Y